There are three ways on how to clean shoelacesdepending on their material. Shoelaces can be made of cotton, leather or hemp which means you need to treat them differently. Most shoes come with shoelaces and it is important to keep them clean to make your shoes look fresh. Clean shoes with dirty shoelaces can make the entire shoes look unclean and we do not want that.
This article will show you the step by step instructions on how to clean leather shoelaces, white shoelaces and colored shoelaces. Before you start, remove the laces from the shoes so that it is easier to clean them.
How to Clean Shoelaces: Leatherclean-leather-shoelaces
- Step 1: Remove any dirt from the shoelace using an old toothbrush or any small brush. Simply brush the debris off. Leather shoelaces do not absorb the dust or dirt so you can use a brush off the big chunks of dirt.
- Step 2: Mix clean water and saddle soap. Apply the mixture on your shoelaces but do not soak it as it may cause discoloration. Use a damp rag to wipe the shoelace.
- Step 3: Place your shoelaces on a newspaper or any dry cloth to dry them. Make sure that you do not put the shoelaces under direct sunlight or heater to avoid discoloration.
- Step 4: Once your shoelaces are dry, you can apply coconut oil or other natural oils to make them shinier. Use a clean cloth and use gloves while applying oil on the shoelaces. Let it absorb the oil to enhance the appearance of your shoelaces and it can also keep it soft.
- Step 5: Hang your shoelaces outside to air dry it. You can wipe the excess oil after an hour then wait for few hours until completely dry.
Clean White Color Shoelaces
- Step 1: With an old toothbrush, scrub extra dirt from your white shoelaces. Remove caked mud or dirt which can be easily done with a brush.
- Step 2: Mix water and three tablespoons of bleach in a basin. Add small amount of detergent to make your cleaning easier.
- Step 3: Put your laces inside a mesh laundry bag. Soak it in the solution for at least five minutes. You can use a spatula, stick or spoon to move the laces under the solution. Make sure to use gloves so that solution won’t accidently spill in your hands as bleach can cause skin irritation.
- Step 4: After soaking the laces, you can now put it in the washing machine together with some of your clothes.
- Step 5: Dry your laces with a towel or air dry. Make sure your shoelaces are completely dry before you use them.
Clean Black Shoelaces
- Step 1: Use an old toothbrush to scrub extra dirt from your colored shoelaces. Remove caked mud or dirt.clean-your-shoes-laces-1
- Step 2: Mix a small amount of detergent and water in a basin. Soap can remove excess dirt stuck in your laces.
- Step 3: Soak your shoelaces for at least five minutes until the dirt are soft enough to brush.
- Step 4: Use the old toothbrush to scrub the dirt off of your laces.
- Step 5: When your laces are already clean, refill your basin with clean water. You can now rinse your shoelaces.
- Step 6: Dry your laces over a towel or sink. Once your laces are completely dry, you can already put them back on your shoes.
That’s all! It is easy to clean shoelaces so make sure that you do it once your laces are dirty and muddy. If you encounter any problems through the steps, let us know! We would like to hear your thoughts.